Soft, moist and fluffy are the best words to describe this cake, the strong Matcha not only gives the cake a unique flavour, it also gives you vivid green colour as well.
Serves: Around 8
Time: Around 60 mins
60ml Vegetable Oil
150ml Whole Milk
5 Eggs yolks (fresher the better)
6 Egg Whites
100g Sugar (I used caster)
190g Cake flour (Plain flour)
1 Teaspoons Baking powder
2 Tablespoon Matcha Powder (Green tea powder)
1. Start by Pre-heating your oven to a temperature of 170C/fan 160C/gas 4, then we can get started on making the cake.
2. First step is to sieve your flour, baking powder and Matcha powder in good sized mixing bowl, once you have sieved it into the bowl add the sugar, create a small well in the middle of the dry ingredients. If you are not sure what a well looks like the mix should look like a volcano.
3. In the middle of the dry mix add the egg yolks, oil and milk, and mix lightly with a hand whisk, mix until well combined, then put this aside for now.
4. Using an electric whisk start on the egg whites and when you see the egg whites slightly froffy add the remaining sugar and continue whisking until you reach soft peaks.
5. Add one third of the egg whites to green matcha mix and mix gently, once combined to the mix add the remaining of the egg whites one third at a time.
6. Add you chiffon cake mix to the cake tin, drop the tin once or twice before putting it into the oven and bake for around 40-45 mins.
7. Take the cake out of the oven , it may look a bit browned every where, you will need to cut the sides off, tops and bottom off then you can see you lovely green sponge.