Perfect for any occasion, try this recipe for a light, lemony sponge cake, glazed with with delicious lemon drizzle icing.
3 large eggs
175g self-raising flour
175g caster sugar
175g softened butter
1.5 tsp baking powder (levelled)
1 Grated zest of lemon
50g caster sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas 4.
2. Beat together the eggs, flour, caster sugar, softened butter, baking powder and lemon zest until smooth in a large mixing bowl. Once the mixture is nice and smooth, transfer to a greased and lined baking tin.
3. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 35 mins, or until golden brown, check with a toothpick and push the sides of the cake, if it is springy it should be done. Take it out of the oven and let it cool down.
4. While the cake is cooling, make the lemon drizzle topping. Mix together the sugar and lemon juice, and spread generously over the warm cake, if you have fully covered it try not to re-glaze the cake, or it will get too sweet.
5. After the cake has cooled for around 20-30 mins, you can decorate it and start eating. This cake is perfect with custard.